Welcome to Pen y Dre, Merthyr Tydfil’s award winning high school set in a beautiful green campus with outstanding academic and sporting facilities.
The school’s mission is for all pupils to aspire to success, to achieve success and to believe in their success.
The school is known for our high standards of discipline, behaviour and academic success. We ensure that every pupil aspires to the very best they can be- whether this is in an academic, sporting or cultural route. Whatever your child’s individual talents, results show that they will succeed at Pen y Dre.
“The school works relentlessly to improve the life chances of all pupils, and its motto of “Aspire Achieve Believe” permeates all aspects of its work. There is a very positive and inclusive ethos, which promotes strong values of care and respect.” (Estyn)
The school provides an excellent standard of all round education and we are very proud of the national awards we have won in recognition of this. Our recent awards include:
- Professional Teaching Awards Cymru Winner – Working with parents and the community
- Welsh Arts Council Lead Creative School –Art, Drama and Music
- UK Pearson Teaching Awards Winner- Information Technology and Digital Competency (I.T. Robotics, Minecraft, Programming)
- Professional Teaching Awards Cymru Winner- Support Teacher of the Year
- Business in the Community Winner – School to Business Partnership
- Urdd Eisteddfod Regional and National Winners
We have a ‘can-do’ culture at Pen y Dre, where we develop the well-being, confidence and resilience of all our pupils. We are a very caring school and we feel that if pupils are happy, then they will make good progress and be successful. Our pupils have many varied opportunities to boost their self-worth and experience of the world around them- we believe in them and in turn they believe in their own potential.
Contact the school and see for yourself what makes Pen y Dre High School a thriving school community.
Keith Maher MA NPQH